Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bottle.

"Look at you! You learned how to hold your bottle all by yourself!"

I found myself saying that to Adam today.

Ha.


Adam, being Adam, does not take a bottle. It's not by any wish of mine.  He used to be able to; they wouldn't release him from the NICU until he could. For the first few months of his life, he used to be fed a bottle of formula or breast milk once a day and he did well. Then came July 29th and the milk allergy and the milk-free formula and the dairy-elimination diet. I really like breastfeeding, (Does that make you feel awkward? Too bad, sucka. It's my blog.) but I find myself dreaming about a day when Adam will hold his own bottle filled with formula. But... he hates poop juice and I hate living without milk. Stalemate.

Darn kids.

But at least he can hold that water bottle pretty well.

5 comments:

Audrey said...

Cooper won't take bottles either, unless they're filled with juice . . . At one of his last pediatrician appointments we met with the nurse practitioner (who was a woman). She gave me this girl power speech about how I need to teach him to drink from a bottle because I need to be able to go on dates with my husband and have "me" time. I found it kind of irritating and wanted to say, "Okay, how about you teach him." Basically what I'm saying is I know where you're coming from.

Audrey said...

Sorry to be so verbose, but one more thought. One of the gals that visit teaches me said she basically starved her kid for a day until he would take a bottle. She said he was really mad about it, but he wasn't going to let himself starve forever. She said she didn't have any problems after that. Sounds awful, but if you get dairy back . . .

Fred and Sara said...

Molly hates enfamil. She can chug the similac like its going out of style but won't touch the enfamil. Once they start holding the bottle it is heaven!

Karlie Ann Ady said...

Ok first of all the day will come too soon and then you'll miss him being a small little nurser. 2) I agree with Audrey about annoying pediatrician/nurses/etc. Dean likes to take a bottle before bed and my dr freaked me out that somehow this was really abnormal at his age and he should only take a cup. And then I realized that Dean has been able to drink out of a normal cup (not even a sippy) forever so he likes the bottle for comfort. Well I have a pre-bed comfort thing too of adjusting my pillows just so, praying, cuddling with Ry, etc so why shouldn't a kid who isn't even 18 months old? Now he's outgrowing it on his own. Point= You're a parenting genius. You always know what to do. His bottle refusal probably means he just loves your goodies too much. And can you blame him, really?

Emily and Ryan said...

He is getting so big. Good luck with the whole bottle thing.